Friday 23 August 2019

Well they said they just don't like needles...


I like to cook fish at least twice a week.  Not for any religious reason or to reduce another type of meat it's just because I actually really like it.  These days I generally pick one of the ugly species.  The ones that are cheap, have a really ill-thought out name (God, who came up with 'Snotties'?) and are the least attractive.  Generally line caught, out of the ocean with no tampering other than a serious blow to head does me fine.  I used to be a big fan of eating a particular type of farmed fish because I thought, yeah farmed is good, stop depleting the rivers and oceans of this much sought after variety.  There were some reports about enhanced colouring in the farming processes which put me off slightly, but I thought gee, I could probably do with a little colour myself but it got worse.  The reports...not the colour, I'm still deathly white.  I read recently in the newspaper that a particular fish company that farms a type of fish vaccinate them against disease.  GREAT!!  And it's not a case of line up with your fins rolled up for your annual flu shot, I could be wrong but I suspect this vaccination gets put in the fish food and therefore it's in my food.  End of my interest in said fish.  The likelihood of me getting Gill disease is probably still very low even though my immunity may have worn off but I'll take my chances.  It doesn't take an expert to work out that trying to recreate nature is difficult when you want live species at your beck and call on a massive production scale.   The movement of these fish through their natural environments naturally prevents this disease.  And so when farmed it needs to managed other ways.  I get all that.  I just don't want to be vaccinated against it.  Thanks very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment