Saturday 21 November 2015

Christmas blows in early



Santa has officially arrived in the Christmas Parade unbeknown to me as I tried unsuccessfully to manoeuvre the wrong way against a footpath tide of pram and toddler traffic today.  Once returned to the safety of my kitchen I now look to baking plans for Christmas.  Max can't go passed a good shortbread but I'm considering an attempt at mince tarts of sorts.  I found a recipe in an English Country based magazine that tells of winter wonderlands with pictures of snow dipped hedges and knitted Christmas stockings.  A long way from the gale that's blowing across my back paddock that means if I risk putting the laundry on the clothes line next door's cows could end up wearing my underwear and the sheets will be somewhere along the highway.  Having had a cup of tea and a home made rock cake, it's time to put pen to paper and come up with the Christmas baking list. It's the time of year when diets and budgets are packed up and put away to be replaced by bags of caster sugar, white flour and packets of the unusual that would normally be forgotten in the pantry.   The temptation to buy chestnut flour and elderflower water is pretty strong even though I have no idea what they're used for.  And the beautiful display of Christmas pannetone that if your family aren't familiar with a European Christmas will be wondering why you are serving them dry cake.  Each year we try to do something a little different. But this year there will be shortbread.  After all, they're Max's favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment