Monday 21 October 2019

Who wants to be a chicken - I do

I can't imagine living in a place that didn't have chickens.  Apart from the obvious egg collecting they are really very entertaining.  Doris (pictured) has taken to laying eggs at the back door in the wood kindling box.  I can only imagine how uncomfortable that must be not to mention the potential splinters.  But, it works for Doris.  It works for me as well as I only have to poke my head around the back door for an egg.  Doris has a full plumage of feathers on her head (bouffant if you like) and whilst it's a great retro look, I suspect a lot of the time she can't see where she is going.  I've seen her plummet head first into the rear end of another chicken, not attractive.  Thanks to Doris though we now have a variety of chickens with feathers on their heads.  Mostly more mohawk than Doris Day but it's a good way of knowing that they come from our farm.  Particularly now that the neighbours have chickens with feathers on their legs and spikey hair hairdos.  Two years ago they only had Isa Browns. Now they don't have one brown chicken.  Our rosters don't worry too much about fences or borders.  I'm not really sure how long chickens live for.  I've been told that Isa Browns only live for about 3 years or if raised for commercial reasons, probably about five minutes.  We're proud to say we've got some seniors on our farm.  It's a bit of a retirement village for our flock where they come out for their morning and afternoon tea.  This morning they polished off some leftover scones and the crusts from last night's home made cherry pie from a bottle of preserved cherries.  They'll sit in the dirt in the sun now and then slowly close their eyes and have a little snooze.  I'm sure if I put a TV out there they'd be sitting around watching Who Wants To Be a Millionaire waiting for their supper.  Won't encourage them.

No comments:

Post a Comment