Wednesday 23 October 2019

Beware of the flying jet skis


Viewing time is open at the maternity ward.  She's brought them out from the hedge for public viewing.  She's the proud mum of five, all different colours.  I put next to her a very shallow pet bowl for water, just enough for them to drink but not drown in.  They mostly stand in it anyway.  The water bowls can get a bit like a public swimming pool for all the wrong reasons.

We're definitely spending a bit more time outdoors these last few days.  Weeds have been pulled, paddocks have been mowed and lawn seed planted.  I've embarked on regular watering program to make sure everything is watered and no sections get neglected.  Yesterday I took the side hose around the to the front of the house to make sure I could water all of the iceberg roses and lavender.  I was careful not to disturb the army of bees in the lavender bushes.  They were everywhere.  I watered at the roots of the plants but still the humming became louder every time I came by with a hose.  I soon realised that I was being pursued by an angry humming.  A bit like being chased by a air bound jet ski, I soon discovered you can't outrun it.  I ran towards the other side of the front lawn near the big oak tree where there isn't a lavender bush in sight but the angry bee was still after me.  This bee had been inside one too many empty cans of Red Bull and clearly wanted a fight.  I grabbed my straw hat off my head and waved it around but that didn't work.  I took off my pale blue jumper and threw it on the lawn to encourage it to pursue the jumper instead of me but it kept buzzing around my head.  This occurring all the time with me racing around the front lawn in circles like a woman possessed.  Not accustomed to random acts of bee violence, I ran towards the house only to trip over two very uncoordinated feet and face plant (or fall arse over tit as I understand the term to be) on the lawn.  When I got up (bruised ego mostly) I could hear the sound of bee laughter trailing off in the distance. But at least it was Bee begone with dignity gone too.  Bugger them.  They can have dried lavender in future.  See who gets the last bee laugh now.

No comments:

Post a Comment