Tuesday 21 February 2017

How do you take your tea? One strawberry or two?

Phew. Looks like the season has finally started to change.  The wind has hightailed it out of here for the time being and a short burst of rain briefly reminded us of what it felt like not to have to water.  Our recently planted box hedges had been sadly forgotten and were gasping for water hidden under an unruly bushy rose.  I don't buy into the, water only in the early or later part of the day theory as my English box hedges struggle with an Australian dry summer any time of the day.  They scream for water NOW as they start to resemble less a green hedge and more a pile of burnt popcorn.  Elsewhere in the garden the strawberry runners hang like creepy tentacles from their baskets in the green house.  I thought they might have complained about being confined to indoors but seem to be enjoying it enough to not leave my tea cup around should they plant in there before I've finished.  It really is a fruitful time of year when you can't even give away your zucchinis and everyone has enough tomatoes to conduct their own Tomato Throwing festival (a zucchini throwing festival just wouldn't be the same).    Tomato soup, pasta sauce, soup and pasta, pasta with zucchini and tomato soup and so it goes.  I just wish opening a can wasn't so damn easy.

5 comments:

  1. We have had lovely rain here too. 40 mm on Sunday night. I am not getting any zucchinis (something to do with all males and no ladies), so I was very glad when my neighbour threw a monster in my direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love zucchinis. They're either growing like they're on steroids or just being a big bunch of flowers.

      Delete
  2. Our tomatoes are still green but then we did start late this year. Do you start your seeds off in your greenhouse? My 2 punnets of strawberries are growing like mad this year and have already sent runners off in all directions. We are growing veggies in fridge wicking beds this year and I decided not to bother with zucchini as every year they get powdery mildew and turn to mush. I wish I was your neighbour! Hopefully the season keeps on keeping on nice and mild and we might yet get some tomatoes. You must be further up north than we are. We are almost at the end of the Tamar River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our tomatoes are a mixed bunch of seeds, bought plants and self seeded, out of control yellow cherry tomatoes which I will struggle to keep up with. There are only so many things you can do with cherry tomatoes.

      Delete
    2. Sorry I haven't replied Louise as Wordpress doesn't tell me when I have blogger comments and I have to check. We are back at TAFE studying how to make films this year so I don't get the time to check up on comments. I might start doing it every time you post :). We have feral tomatoes growing in Sanctuary (our large fully enclosed possum and wallaby proof garden that we recently converted into an espalier garden) from last years veggies (that the rats ate most of). We are gardening in fridge wicking beds now and have had amazing success. I went from watering for 3 hours daily to watering every 3 days and for only an hour. I have been liberated! Our cherry tomatoes are late this year and our bigger tomatoes are still growing, let alone ripening as we installed the fridge wicking beds in late November so got a late start but with the promised mild autumn (we don't get frost or snow here on the river) we might just get the bigger ones to ripen before winter hits. It's pretty warm at the moment isn't it. 30C today. Starting to feel like we are back in W.A. ;)

      Delete