Wednesday 21 August 2019

I'm not about to start growing wheat

I've been using a bread maker for a while now.  It's one of those things that can divide people.  They were a kitchen gadget that went out of favour for a while but the later version is as easy as it gets.  Unfortunately the difficult part of bread making for me is finding bread flour.  The big shops with the long aisles only have bread mix.  And after reading about the unlisted ingredients in bread mix that so wonderfully stop it and me from going mouldy, I'm a bit reluctant to go down that hidden additive road with them.  Is it me or is it getting harder and harder to source food ingredients that haven't been tampered with? If we've got the situation where ingredients, no matter how small don't need to be listed what hope have we got?  Teeny tiny portions of bad stuff might have zero (proven) effect on our health for one portion but we generally are habitual feeders and return to the same product time and time again.  And we actually care what shit they put in our food chain.  I try to take responsibility for the stuff that goes into people's mouths around here but it's an ongoing battle.  The dog eats the cat food which is very bad for him, Minnie our outdoor cat that lives inside by the fire, eats our food as well as her own which is not good for her as she's already overweight, the chooks are constantly sneaking the dog food and the ragdoll cat won't eat any food that's been in a bowl more than 5 minutes.  When did food for survival become so hard?  According to a well known vital organ foundation they state that how we prepare meat and poultry and fish can make a big difference as to whether we are healthy or not.  This is true in some aspects, and that deep fried shoes would taste good if the batter was just right but what about getting the product to us that's healthy in the first place.  The problem is we just do know what funny stuff has been added before we even get it so we're buggered before we start.  Well at least I know I won't go mouldy any time soon.

2 comments:

  1. What a pity you can't get straight bread flour. I stay away from machine mixes for the same reasons you do; in any case I still make my bread by hand. I was loaned a machine to try but didn't like it, so didn't buy one. I get Wallaby brand baker's flour in a 5 kg bag from Coles supermarket and presume you've got one of those somewhere over there, but if you have to travel any distance, it makes for an expensive loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation. Wallaby's have such a bad reputation here for what they destroy. It would be good for them to redeem themselves if even by brand alone.

    ReplyDelete