Thursday 28 March 2019

Winter draws near



As the days of sitting on my white chair under the leafy trees draws to a close, the days are getting shorter and the warmth in the sun only lasts a few hours or so.  The feathered friends are moulting and making the most of the warm spots around the yard.  I've been battling a chest infection for a few weeks and took some time out to sit out in the courtyard in the sun today.  I'm never alone for very long.  One by one the feathered friends all ventured past to see if there was a recently baked cake or a scone to share.  No luck today folks.  Although having said that, not one for lying low for very long I managed to drag my sorry arse out of my sick bed to try a banana loaf in my new bread maker machine.  The results might be a jackpot for the chooks, who knows.  The bread machine by no way will produce those marvellous stoneground artisan sourdoughs we greedily queue up for at the farmers markets.  To me sourdough is the craft of magicians who turn metal into gold in their spare time.  Bread machines provide a little loaf of your choice that is suitable for the standard sandwich and toast requirements.  It's a great way to save money if you were like me and buying on average two of the artisan loafs a week and eating a few slices and wasting the rest. We'd freeze it but even then couldn't really get through a complete one.  The other thing is the crusts.  Where is it written that sourdough must have crusts so strong they can withstand a cyclone or major storm event?  Some of them are so crusty i.e., like plaster you can barely cut them with a bread knife.  Not to mention the risk to the dental ware which if shattered will cost significantly.  So whilst the old bread maker might have fallen out of the favour in the coolest of kitchens, mine is my new friend.  Just not sure about the cake baking.  Chook Chook....

No comments:

Post a Comment